Sunday, January 13, 2008

Broken

Why is it so hard to admit that we don't have it all together? And why is it so easy for us to believe that others do?

Why not admit the truth? Perhaps the pain of being broken wouldn't seem so bad if we allowed ourselves to be broken together. "I'm not perfect. Please love me anyway," seems straightforward enough.

The tricky thing about being broken though, is that it tends to lead to more breaking. Instead of bringing us together we often use our brokenness to isolate ourselves or others so we can bare our shame alone. Hidden. Guarded. Safe. But not loved. Not free.

I'd rather love and be loved. I'd rather be free.

2 comments:

Aaron Kangas said...

Ah, but the temptation towards "safe" is sooooo tempting. Not to say that it's actually safe, or really hidden or actually guarded.

And being free, loving and being loved all take a realization of our own vulnerability (and that's just the opposite of feeling "safe"). However, I think we're just as vulnerable, perhaps in different ways, when we're being "safe".

Anonymous said...

Hey...I'm not perfect, but will you love me anyway?