Monday, September 10, 2007

Evil Weevil

I came home from work today famished and eagerly anticipating a yummy meal of mac and cheese.

My anticipation grew to giddy excitement as I painstakingly cooked my favorite spiral noodles to perfection. Excitement grew to frenzied desperation by the time the seasoning was added but I forced my self to wait as the sauce thickened because I didn't want to sacrifice quality in my haste to quel the growing hunger pangs. As I took my first bite I was glad I had waited. The noodles were perfect, the cheesy sauce was perfect, the comfy couch on which I reclined to watch my fantasy football team rack up points was perfect. Everything was perfect.

That is until I took a great big bite of weevil.

Organic canned rice and beans, while preferable to munching worm like beetles as a source of complete protein, fall sadly short in the enjoyment category of tonight's meal venture.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you kidding!? sick, sick, sick!

oh, btw...when did you get a blog? i'm happy, overjoyed, ecstatic! it's about time. i will be an avid reader.i

Christina said...

Ewwwwwwww, I am totally sympathetic. It reminds me of the episodes where Eileen ate cereal full of aunts and I almost ate rice full of bugs. Also, the egg that was almost a fetus..........bleagh. :)

Christina said...

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! and by "aunts" I mean "ants" - wow it's been a long week already.....but what if she really did eat aunts.......

Mariquita said...

i'm confused - how did weevils, rice, and beans get in your mac?

Ln said...

I gave up on the mac and cheese and weevil and ate the rice and beans instead. They were almost as gross.

e lemme said...

Eww, weevils. Last summer my kitchen was attacked by a whole slew of weevils. In the oats, in the flour, in EVERYthing. I started implementing "weevil" into my collection of slang terms. So like, when I'm stuck in traffic, "ugh, WEEVIL!" or when my roommates forget to do their dishes, "ooooh, weevils!!" It kind of helps lighten things up. :)

Mariquita said...

Elizabeth, you are hilarious.

Ellyn, you need to post!! How's sunny CA?

Jenevieve said...

Oh, weevils. Sick.

How'd the CA trip go?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ellyn :)

Ln said...

Hi Ms. Shelly! Oh how I've missed you!

Aaron Kangas said...

Yeah, once I found maggots inside the shell of a pistachio. I still don't like to eat pistachios unless they're shelled.

Anonymous said...

I usually have to take the shells off the pistachios for Aaron...and then he still inspects them before eating...even if I made a through inspection myself.