Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Oopies!

As part of the ongoing mission to discover the source of my chronic fatigue, my doctor recently provided me with some sleep drugs to try. Her instructions to me were, "Take one pill, half an hour before bedtime." What she should have said was, "Take your pill and make sure your ass is physically in bed ready to sleep with in five minutes or your legs will collapse under you mid-tooth brush."

This majorly strong drug also had the unfortunate side effect of making me oversleep this morning so that I was late to work. Lucky for me, I'm always late to work so no one really noticed but I was deeply ashamed anyway. Needless to say, I will only be taking a half a pill tonight; right as I turn out the light.

4 comments:

Aaron Kangas said...

Um... don't pass out while brushing your teeth. That sounds like a bad idea. Or maybe you should try brushing your teeth in bed.

Anonymous said...

wow - be careful!

on a side note: my occasionally sleepless husband has found that Tylenol PM works really well, is not addictive, and (if you take it early enough) only makes it mildly harder to get up on time.

Jenevieve said...

I took Ambien in high school to combat insomnia (my bout when I was finding out about vet schools was cured with several glasses of wine and some illicitly procured valium). Sleeping pills sucked for me; I was a 24 hour zombie when I was on them.

On a side note in the "unrequested advice" column, have you tried taking melatonin? Several chronically fatigued friends of mine have had a lot of luck with it.

Ln said...

Thanks Jeni and B! I'm totally open to suggestions seeing as how the pills did make me a Zombie. What's the good of getting sleep if I still can't function the next day; right?