Saturday, August 23, 2008

Inexplicable

So, my first time giving blood did not go well. I nearly passed out 5 times, nearly vomited twice, and the nurses had to use smelling salts to keep me conscious more than once.

I felt tremendously guilty and weak as they buzzed around nervously mumbling about my dropping blood pressure and casting anxious glances my way. I tried to make them happy by wiggling my feet a lot and coughing into my shoulder which is supposed to keep one's blood pressure up. Even so, it was another hour and half before there was enough color in my lips that they would let me leave and even then it was with strict instructions to have someone else drive me to a friends house where I was to lay around and drink water; nothing more.

I'm really glad they got the quart out of me before I really started to lose it but I'm really sad whenever I think about going back in the future. I'd really like to contribute to the great need for donated blood but truly, that was maybe the most horrible experience I've ever had. I'm not sure I'll be able to make myself go back. Does anyone have a great success or similar horror story they would like to share?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellyn, that's awful! I've only given blood once, at the urging of my mom, who said it was no big deal. Well, she pumped out a quart in about 10 minutes while I was lying there with the needle at a weird angle, in pain the whole time (the guy who put in the needle had to do it twice, even after saying how great my veins were). Then when I had my juice my mom said I was totally white, so the ladies made me lie down on the floor with my feet on the chair until I regained some color. That was probably 5 years ago, and I haven't given blood since. I really want to, but I can't forget how awful it was. I even have a less common blood type and plenty of iron, and I don't mind needles...I just don't like pain and nearly fainting.

Anonymous said...

I have really low blood pressure...so I pass out every time I give blood.

They just started to tip me back and put a cold wash rag on my neck from the very beginning...to avoid passing out.

I still pass out...but at least I am more comfortable in my reclined position. :-)