Monday, April 21, 2008

"It Might Be Fun"

For a variety of good reasons I spent a good portion of last week dreading my trip to California. In an attempt to trick myself into optimism I've repeating "It might be fun" to myself almost hourly to no avail. The dread remained and yesterday's rocky start seemed to confirm my worst fears that I was in for a very long, lonely week.

Today, however, my trip took a turn for the better. A wonderful college rep. from University of San Diego took pity on me and helped me carry my piles of boxes (thanks Jim) to the fair location giving us ample time for chatting and friend making. This put me in an excellent mood which allowed me to have a sense of humor when I found out shortly thereafter that the fair heads weren't expecting me. Because of some clerical snafu they never received my registration and didn't have a table or materials set up for me. The real tragedy though is not being included in the list of schools attending that is handed out to all students who attend the fairs so they know to look for us. I resolved to be charming enough that everyone would want to talk to me regardless of our lack of listing.

Bolstered by my success in having made a friend so early in the week, I informed the woman in charge that I was here to stay and demanded a table and bottled water. She provided the table and forgot the water, giving me an excellent opportunity to make friend number 2 . I convinced the cute UPS rep to give me one of his two bottles.

As far as fairs go, this one was pretty slow but that ended up working to my advantage since it left me time to talk and make more friends which I did. K from University of Montana and I made a pact to be lunch/shopping/sun lounging buddies and between the two of us we managed to rope some fun (and cute) reps. from Jamaica and Mexico into hanging out with us at the complementary dinner. After much laughter we all promised to meet up at tomorrow's fair for more fun and I'm looking forward to it.

I topped my successful social day off with a lengthy impromptu drive through San Francisco (I stubbornly tried to drive through downtown on my way the the Golden Gate Bridge and got lost) that added about an hour to my evening. Luckily I had my trusty GPS with me and was able to get to my hotel without too much trouble. All in all, today was a really fun day. Who would have guessed that where I failed to trick myself into having fun, Jesus would sneak in and make things actually fun?

1 comment:

Christina said...

That sounds like a very successful day! Good job staying optimistic and being socially charming. :) You're a natural.